JIRA is one of the most popular project management tools that can be used by the software development teams on the next project. Today millions of users are making use of JIRA and it is designed in such a way to plan, develop, log issues, track progress and launch the software swiftly. However, some of the users find the interface of JIRA old-fashioned and even get confused by some of its functionalities.
Benefits of JIRA
- Better visibility
- Better prioritization
- Increased productivity
- Just stay connected
- Thousands of add-ons
- Certified training and consultancy
- Generation of reports
- Free to use
- Time tracking
Top JIRA Alternatives
There can be a number of reasons for you to decide to go for the alternatives to JIRA. It can be the costs, lower intuitive interface, integration with the current tools, different types of reporting, etc. Whatever may be your reasons, here we are with a list of top JIRA alternatives which the development teams can use for agile software development.
VersionOne is an enterprise software platform. It can be easily scaled to match with different organizational levels and is used specifically for DevOps and Agile teams. It supports a number of methodologies like DAD, LeSS, Enterprise Scrum, Scaled Agile Framework, Kanban or a Hybrid approach. It has been designed to ensure end-to-end visibility, simplify team adoption and offer insights to the management for the progress.
- By using the drag-and-drop function, it allows the users to prioritize defects and stories.
- The backlog management system is easy to use and comes with a centralized and online repository.
- Items can be grouped by theme.
- Business initiatives can be managed with portfolio items.
- All feature requests can be captured at one place.
- According to the business goal, results are provided.
- Helps users to make sure alignment between product and corporate deliverables.
Pricing: $29 per month on per user basis.
Asana, which comes with easy navigation and simple user interface can be considered as another effective alternative to JIRA. It is capable of making delivery of critical functionalities. This can be used by the user to manage the task without using an email online. Asana is mostly known for helping with an innovative approach.
- Handles multiple workspaces.
- Live activity feed gets live updates displayed.
- Add assignments, assignees and hearts to the tasks.
- Easy option available for creating task and project.
- Performs task and project management.
- Search views and project sections.
- Automatic updates to inbox/email.
- Team pages have conversations stored.
- Helps to add followers and track tasks.
- Set due dates, priorities and goals.
Pricing: $9.99 per month on per user basis. For a team of 15 or fewer, it will come at a discount of $6.25 per month basis.
PivotalTracker is an agile software development tool which has been used to help teams deliver consistently and more frequently. The tool offers dynamic tools in order to measure progress and a shared view of priorities set for the teams in order to establish collaboration.
- Nested Boolean expressions supported by powerful search syntax.
- Increase in Project visibility and collaboration.
- The entire project has One View.
- Management workflow is iterative and agile.
- Focused collaboration, real-time, and release management.
- Based on realistic estimates, plans are created.
- Relationships between stories expressed with third-party tools, embedded links and built-in integrations.
Pricing: $250 per month for upto 50 collaborators.
Targetprocess is as an alternative to JIRA, which you or your team can use to manage agile projects through visualization of different complex processes involved in. You can adapt it for Kanban, Scrum or any custom approach. Managers can use to visualize project data, dependencies, timelines, and others while improving visibility and transparency across the board in order to help with collaboration, planning and tracking.
- Release and Sprint planning.
- Backlog story map view.
- Bug tracking, QA, test case management.
- Entire portfolio to have high-level planning and tracking.
- It is the right tool for quality-centered and agile testing teams.
- The progress of multiple teams and projects can be evaluated with this tool.
- It offers custom cards, views, reports and dashboards.
Pricing: $20 per month on per user basis.
Mingle is a project management tool which can be used to implement and scale agile practices by the team. You can find its versions available in different languages like Chinese, English, Portuguese, Dutch, and Spanish. So for the remote software development teams, it becomes easy to handle everything.
- Mingle comes with work templates which are flexible for Kanban, Scrum and Agile processes.
- It lets companies of all sizes to implement agile processes and scale as needed.
- Collaborate and communicate easily.
- Cross-Team dependencies managed with ease.
- When each team can include agile into their process, scaling agile works.
- The teams can work the way they want with Mingle.
- Program managers can visualize the objectives and timeline of the program by using the program planning of Mingle.
Pricing: Up to 5 users, it’s free. The cost then increases based on the number of users and added features.
Assembla offers the developers and project managers a central location where they can manage all the codes and tasks without having to pay for add-ons any extra fee.
Assembla is a code management platform which comes with built-in agile development tools. You can easily manage repositories with Assembla by integrating it with SVN, Blame and GIT.
- To let information flowing between the teams, Assembla offers different collaboration features.
- It comes with an easy bug tracking tool.
- Through multiple workflows, it allows users to resolve issues.
- It provides hourly backups.
- It lets create a personal filter.
- Git, Subversion and Perforce Hosting.
- It can manage to cope up with changes in priorities or requirements using card view features and user stories.
- Project portfolio management.
Pricing: $7.50 per month per user basis.
Crocagile comes with an intuitive interface and clean layout, which is easy to use and the time needed to ramp it up is very little too. The software is designed in such a way that the developers who have no idea of agile can also easily use the tool with speed.
- It has an activity dashboard and activity tracking
- It comes with project and task management.
- Task planning and tracking.
- Comes with collaboration tools.
- Drag and drop interface.
Pricing: $6 per month on per user basis.
Blossom is a project tracking tool which can be used for managing distributed companies. Based on the principles of Kanban, the software helps the teams to visualize processes which can help them continuously work on improving the workflows.
- Beautiful project screen grabs
- Support for Kanban cards
- It comes with easy and quick chat integrations
- Easy code integrations
- Performance analytics
- Quick analytics and insights on performance.
Pricing: It comes at $19-$149 per month basis.
Trello is one of the renowned project management tools which you can easily find in the market. This tool comes with a simple and easy user interface, which can help you manage your project with ease. This is a light-weight and interactive project management tool. With Trello, the users can prioritize and organize the project in a flexible manner.
- Trello can be integrated with Drive and Dropbox.
- It comes with a built-in mechanism for commenting, file uploading and drag and drop facility.
- 10MB is the maximum file size which you can attach to Trello.
- It offers support for mobile platforms like Android, iOS, etc.
- Trello comes with separate boards for different activities.
Pricing: It is free for everyone. For the business class, it comes at $999 per user annually and the enterprise version comes at $2083 per month for 100 users.
Active Collab is an easy-to-use and affordable project management solution. The software comes with outstanding support and intuitive interface, which means that you will not have to spend more time working on the tool.
- Team collaboration, project management, invoicing and time tracking in one app.
- Find the tasks you need to work using filtering.
- Themes powered by unsplash.com
- To see what others are working on, you have a group calendar.
- Self-hosted version for your server.
- One dashboard to get a view of all your projects.
Pricing: It comes at $7 per month on a single user basis.
SprintGround is a project management tool which has been specially designed for the developers so as to help them with increasing the efficiency of the projects. The software offers support for software development methodologies like Waterfall, Kanban, and Scrum. It makes it possible for you to plan release accurately as it allows you to build estimation automatically. It makes it easy for the product owners to follow the progress as this tool encourages the developers to carry out customer-driven product development. Here the teams find it hard and challenging to handle huge files as the file storage is kind of limited in all the plans.
- Categorize, prioritize, filter and order your tasks with task management.
- Now deliver high-quality software solution through the efficient issue and bug tracking.
- See what others are working on through a centralized platform for real-time collaboration.
- Track the time spent working on a task through time tracking.
- Track the status of the project with the help of development progress tracking.
- Track feature requests, capture ideas and suggestions by organizing them.
Pricing: It comes with a free version for 3 users working on 2 projects with 50MB file storage. The paid versions come in as three packages, namely Starter, Business and Enterprise. In case of Starter, 8 users can work on unlimited projects and they get 1GB File Storage; the Business version allows 20 users to work unlimited projects with 2GB file storage facility and the Enterprise version is available for more than 21 users for unlimited projects with a 5 GB file storage space.
For developers, Backlog servers as an all-in-one project management tool. When compared to JIRA, it can be considered as a good alternative. This comes with an intuitive and simple interface. The backlog is used by development teams to work with other teams for high-quality project delivery and enhanced team collaboration.
- Native mobile apps
- Easy bug tracking tool
- SVN and Git built-in
- BurndownCharts and Gantt Charts
- Available both on-premise and in the cloud.
Pricing: Backlog comes with a free version. There are other paid versions too like Starter, Standard, Premium and Enterprise which range from $35 per month to $1200 per year basis. Each plan comes with certain features to choose from.
Wrike is a project management tool which is used to streamline workflows, gain visibility and ease up planning. Businesses use this cloud-based collaboration tool across every niche.
- The project schedule can be viewed and organized accordingly using the right resources using Visual timelines.
- Using the drag and drop facility, you can organize the dashboard in a single view.
- Easy integration with email.
- The user gets to create a view of important and prioritized projects by using a customizable dashboard.
Pricing: It comes with a free basic plan. You will find here some paid versions like Professional, Business, Marketers and Enterprise. Based on the features offered in the plan, the prices may vary too.
With so many JIRA alternatives available to you, it can be confusing to choose the right one for your app or web development project. You can get an idea by asking a few questions about your expectations from the project as well as from the tools available to you. The tools you want to use and the kind of the platform you need to follow –all contributes towards your decision.